This can be an emotional conversation, as change is difficult for everyone. However, waiting too long for support can have negative consequences on both the caregiver and loved one. Below are suggestions on how you can ease into a conversation with your loved one about seeking more support from an assisted living community.
1. Timing is everything. Make sure that you choose a time and place to have a private, focused conversation without additional stressors around.
2. Discuss how an assisted living community can take away the added stress of continuous maintenance of a home—shoveling the walk, mowing the lawn, changing the lightbulbs, cleaning the floors.
3. Illustrate how their life can be easier, how they can get back to the things they enjoy doing—attending church services, playing cards with friends, etc.
4. If you are not in the immediate area of your loved one, having a qualified caregiver available to them 24/7 in times of medical emergencies or care concerns is important.
5. Ask if any of their friends have made a move to an assisted living community. How are they doing?
6. Talk about expenses—do they have any savings, long-term care insurance plans, etc., that you should know about so you can help them plan when looking for an assisted living community?
7. Ask if they have any preferences on communities they would like to move to? What is important to your loved one when making a move?
Oops! We could not locate your form.
Brio Living Services’ assisted living options provide the peace of mind needed to know that your loved one is well taken care of. Our communities seek to provide services necessary to the individual, to ensure they remain independent for as long as possible. These include transportation, housekeeping, and assistance with medications and hygiene needs. The assisted living environment provides countless enriching and social opportunities like fitness programs by trained professionals, daily meals in the dining room, and stimulating gatherings to help older adults live life to the fullest.
At Brio Living Services, we realize you may not have the answers for what your loved one needs and may not know where to start. We are here to support you and to serve as an expert resource. With skilled professionals, including social workers, memory care specialists, and more, we can provide much needed, unbiased information about available options for your loved one – even if it’s not with us.
To learn more about assisted living options and to connect with us, click here Best Assisted Living Communities in Michigan | Brio Living Services (mybrio.org). Wishing you and your loved ones a joyous holiday season!