Beat The Heat This Summer With Brio Living Services!
Happy summer from Brio Living Services! While this is the perfect time to soak in the sunshine with friends and family, it is important to know best practices for older adults to stay cool and healthy this summer, avoiding harmful illnesses caused by extreme heat. According to HealthInAging.org, “Every summer, more than 600 Americans die of health problems caused by excessive heat and humidity.” Brio Living Services is helping to prevent heat-related illnesses by giving older adults we serve the resources to have a fun and safe summer.
Keeping these tips and tricks in mind can prevent heat-related illnesses in older adults, including:
- Stay hydrated with lots of water and clear fluids, avoiding alcohol and caffeine to prevent dehydration.
- Be mindful of extreme heat outdoors, keeping up to date with rising temperatures.
- Look out for signs of heat-related illnesses such as heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Knowing the symptoms is important for prevention and care as they occur. Heat exhaustion symptoms may look like dizziness, nausea, feeling weak, and a rapid pulse. Heat stroke symptoms include an increased body temperature of 104°F or higher, fainting, lack of sweat even in the heat, rapid or weak pulse, and flushed skin.
- Stay in air-conditioned locations throughout the day, including indoor activities with plentiful cold air.
- Protect your skin from UV rays by using sunscreen in exposed areas. The recommended level for broad spectrum sunscreen is SPF 15 or higher.
- Keep medications cold and out of the heat. Medications should also be kept up to date for best practices.
- Dress for the weather. Wear comfortable shoes, along with lightweight, loose-fitting clothing that protects the skin.
- Be aware of your surroundings and anything that could create a falling risk.
- Wear face and head protection, including sunglasses and hats.
- Plan outdoor activities for the morning and at sunset, avoiding hotter temperatures during the day that could lead to health problems.
At Brio Living Services, we encourage healthy living for our residents, taking all precautions to help older adults live their best lives, and the summertime is no exception to our care. Using these tips will help the older adults we serve to beat the heat and stay cool all summer long. We wish all our residents a happy, healthy summer!
For more tips to stay cool this summer and information about heat-related illnesses, visit:
- Tip Sheet: Hot Weather Safety Tips for Older Adults | HealthInAging.org
- Hot Weather Safety for Older Adults | National Institute on Aging (nih.gov)
- Summer safety tips for seniors: How to help older adults stay healthy when it's hot outside - Care.com Resources
- Top Summer Health Tips for Seniors (silvercuisine.com)
To read more information about the older adults Brio Living Services serves, go to Home Page - Brio Living Services (mybrio.org)